BYOB

I know Earth Day has long gone (22 April) but everyday should be earth day as Osindak puts it, I totally agree with her. There are a few things that we can do everyday for our mother earth. First thing and this is the simplest one: BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag). Yup, just learn it from The Oprah Magazine. BYOB.
I don't see many people doing it here. I went into Giant yesterday requesting to have the recycle bag that they are selling from the cashier assistance and yet she doesn't understand what I meant, 'cos later she still pulled out plastic bags and intended to put my groceries in there. NO!! Use the bag! Ya, why buying it and not using it, right?
In Hong Kong supermarket, people are being charged for the plastic bag if they must use it, else most of them would have gone in with their own grocery bag.
I'm quoting from The Oprah Magazine about BYOB: "An estimated 12 million barrels of oil are consumed in manufacturing the plastic bags we use and discard each year (for paper bags, the annual toll is 14 million trees). San Francisco has already banned plastic bags from large grocery stores and pharmacies. Ban them from your home, too: Switch to mesh or durable canvas."
Yup, switch to mesh or canvas now!

Comments

fie the elf said…
I agree! Malaysia gives out plastic bags like crazy. In a lot of European countries you get charged for a bag, so I normally bring an extra bag when I do grocery shopping.

And Giants workers are known for their stupidity! Thing is I guess their supervisors didn't tell them what the green recycle bags are for.
Anonymous said…
I wish every country should be imposing a law just like Hongkong wherein you will pay everytime you use plastic. That way, you can minimize using plastics, right?
Hannie C said…
I agree with both of you.
Firstly the supervisor or whoever responsible should brief their stuffs on environment issue and encourage patron to use the recycle bag instead of straight offering them plastic bag. I remember the cashier look at me with wide eyes after I said I don't need the plastic bag.